COOK IT YOUR CHOICE…..

I want to thank Paradise Philippines for making me a member of this blog, as I couldn’t resist, I had to share some of my favorite recipes, a few tips that will make the difference, delicious heart-health menus from sweet to savory dishes, food styling ideas and many, more…

Since then, some of my friends have given me tips on how to camouflage the smell of other condiments; I tried my tricks using native flavors and prepared this French inspired continental menu. I hope a lot of you will enjoy this easy, ‘it’s practically a ‘piece of cake’ recipe for chicken supplemented by affordable and versatile ingredients and you’ll have a well rounded meal.

Just recently my mom fabulously threw a party on her 75th birthday celebration. As if it is a family grand reunion, with all her families around, there was much conversation, laughter, karaoke singing throughout the evening. Upon arrival at their residence we were welcome by my gracious mother, instantly we felt the warmth of her home. I prepared this French-inspired continental menu for her, using all Philippines flavors, coz’ my mom loves to eat. She is a great cook and she has excellent taste and flavor.

I thought I spotted a mixture error, but I was proven wrong- beneath this Philippines flavors I used ,lies a delicious surprise…so Happy eating!!!!

Chicken with Dijon Potatoes
6 servings

This lively French Dijon mustard - French Mustarded de Dijon is a flavorful complement to hot dogs and hamburgers, and is ideal as a glaze for poultry when used with honey.

¼ cup chopped Purefoods bacon
1 kilo chicken thighs, skinless, deboned, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper
½ cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 carrots, diced
1 ½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 Knorr chicken cube

For the potatoes:

1 kilo potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ¼ cups Nesle whipping cream
2 tablespoon Dijon Mustard (any available in the market)
Young Onions for garnish

  • In a pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with pepper towel. Set aside.
  • Seasoned chicken with salt and pepper. In the same pan, cook chicken in the bacon oil in batches about three minutes each side or until golden in color. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
  • In the same pan, in the same bacon oil, sauté onion, garlic, carrots, and thyme. Season with one-half teaspoon of the salt and pepper and cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
  • Add the cooked chicken, red peppers, green and black olives and mustard. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring about one minute.
  • Gradually, pour in white wine and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring often, about five minutes or until liquid thickens slightly and wine evaporates. Stir in the cooked bacon.
  • Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes. Peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Season with salt.
  • In a pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes.
  • In a bowl, mash potatoes and blend in whipping cream and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Serve on top or on the side of chicken.
  • Garnish with parsley before serving.

Per serving: 268 calories; 56.7 grams protein; 31.8 grams carbohydrates; 22.0 grams fat; 220.6 mg. sodium; 12.2 cholesterol

Finally, I could say it was a truly a perfect dinner. Try and I’d love to hear from you. Tell how it turned out. You can also send me your color photo of your finished product and I’ll print the best ones I receive.

More heart-friendly recipes to cook for yourself and family…till my next issue!
Happy cooking!!!


Happy Birthday Mom!!!!

0 comments: