MODEL PARENT VS. MODEL CHILDREN

I walked into my teenager's room and all I can see are posters of teen idols wearing too much makeup and too little clothing, I spot an item of clothing lying around, accessories and a lot of stuff around their bed. Obviously, the character that teens today model themselves after are a far cry from Maria Clara lifestyle……. Yet with the television and peer pressure that teens are faced with, it's no wonder that they act, dress up and look the way they do. Teens choose models for themselves as early as the preschool years. They choose models for themselves who they see as having particular characteristics that they have. It’s OK to look great, be cool and act cool are the standards teens need to hear. Whatever the reasoning maybe for choosing a particular model the support of the parent is a good way to reach teens and provide them with positive models they can identify with.

While teenagers often choose role model because they truly want to be, the best thing for the parent to do is act appropriately. Despite, how it may appear, parents are the first powerful role model for children. Try to tolerate that hideous poster on the bedroom door –that is a relatively safe way for the child to rebel. When your child look elsewhere, they will look at your reaction and you will be their new ‘role model’.

I’m sure that the foundation parents provide their children when they are young will see them through yet another difficult stage of parent-teen relationship.

I hope that I’ve sent the right meaning to my kids in terms of aspirations, determination and appearances to copy and what not to. I can’t deny that they are teenagers and we won’t agree on everything. Right now, I am contented knowing that they may look somebody else for modes of dress, and they’ll also look to be successful and learn the perseverance and satisfaction from a job well done. Congrats!!!

0 comments: